9.8.06

Postman Pat


I just retrieved the mail from its box. This could be seen as equivocally me !

The mail today consisted of:
1. A pamphlet on living in the Varsity Lakes precinct. This is a Delfin Lendlease development. My friend Meg studied places like these when she was studying landscape architecture at University. She did a project on how these companies didn't sell houses, but sold and marketed a lifestyle. If I had the choice I don't think I would choose this lifestyle. However, it is very close to Bond and that's a very well designed campus. It was designed by Arata Isozaki, a Japanese Architect.

Yes, to all my friends in Melbourne Delfin are the same people who brought you Caroline Springs. This place is not very different. Perhaps it has a slight advantage being 5mins drive to the beach. Never did I imagine living in lego land, but for my legal education I would not be here. It's not too bad. I should look on the bright side of life, I could be living in a shanty town in India and all my brothers and sisters could be malnourished and my dad could have been shot dead and my mum could be having another kid and I would be given the task of looking after the remaining ones. But perhaps that wouldn't be so bad. There is good and bad in everything.

2. An account from the University. I have no money!

3. A pamphlet from the Local Council. It seems the Gold Coast City Council are having a problem with graffiti. In fact it is obviously such a problem that they thought it necessary to mail-drop a double-sided glossy 'fact sheet' entitled 'Graffiti Prevention - A guide for residents and business owners. ' They think graffiti is 'illegal,' 'a crime,' and that people who graffiti are 'vandals' who 'have no respect for private or community property and no regard for the negative impacts of their actions.' Then they give you some tips on how to remove it. A lot of people would not agree with the Council and its Mayor. The Council argue that "Graffiti that is left intact attracts more graffiti - and the longer it remains, the greater the gratifiation for perpetrators. It also suggests a community that does not care or is unable to deal with the problem." I think this might be propaganda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home