3.11.06

Reading

I've read this once. I have returned to read it again. It is worthwhile. Initially I avoided this text, on the basis that I recalled some of Peter Singer's earlier works which made me think far too much! Maybe I've mellowed with age? Perhaps, I've become more intelligent? Highly unlikely. If you actually care about the world, about eco-systems, about sustainabilty, about pollution it's worth considering. Even if you don't (I probably don't think you should both reading my blog anymore) perhaps you may have an epiphany.

I've decided to re-read this because of the plethora of facts, references and research cited by the authors that I didn't necessarily take the time to consider the first time. Guess what, if you keep reading this blog you will be privy to some of this information. I think my readership may have just dropped dramatically. Oh well.

To introduce the book consider this: "We don't usually think of what we eat as a matter of ethics. Stealing, lying, hurting people - these acts are obviously relevant to our moral character. So too, most would say is our involvement in community activities, our generosity to others in need....But eating- an activity that ...is essential...and in which everyone participates - is generally seen quite differently. It was not always so...."

Among many things this book made me reconsider my ecological footprint. I often try to push this to the back of my consciousness, but once you are aware of it and if you care it's difficult to forget it. Determine yours here. There are better places for doing this, but I can't locate them at the moment. If you are aware of any feel free to bring them to my attention.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home