3.11.06

Student Politics

I make a point not to become involved in student politics.

I'll support ideas I deem worthwhile.

Sometimes I'll make an appearance at Club 20, Empire or something the student council does, such as the fireworks! I have observed that while student politics may, at times, be informative and entertaining, it can also be disturbing, horrific and hysterical.

I don't think my absence is noted, nor my presence recorded, at events I attend. I'm fine with this. I like taking a back seat, and observing. Sometimes people ask what I think, I'll give them my opinion. Sometimes I'll tell people what I think, just because I feel like it.

Often I like to make comparisons between politics and 'political characters' (if it can be called this and they can be labeled that at Bond) that I have observed.


Currently, I am rather annoyed at the huge amount of money used to publish a recent edition of Scope. This is not saying that the publication was not of a reasonable standard or that it didn't look good. Rather, I have become frustrated that at a time when funding for student councils/unions, student support services and activities at all Universities in Australia are dramatically impacted by VSU, this money is being spent on a student colour photograph publication. The wild rumour that has surfaced - that student council are considering painting the council offices and ordering new furniture - is also not making me very happy.

This maybe a wild rumor, if so I do apologise. If it isn't, I would hope that someone suggest to council that while spending funds generated to-date is important, so is investing some of these funds . Not necessarily for the students of today but for those of the future.

I stumbled upon a comment today. This prompted my comment, albeit brief, on student politics. As mentioned, I do try to avoid this. However, given that I do go to lengths to ensure this blog is equivocally emma, rather than unequivocally emma, I thought I really should post it!

"Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything." Frank Dane.
Interesting food for thought!


On another note, while I have re-activated comments on my blog I have discretion. I can choose to publish or not to publish. HA. So if your comment hasn't been posted I presumably have a valid reason (validity determined by ME) not to publish it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST LOST ALL RESPECT FOR YOU. LOWERING YOURSELF TO PETTY STUDENT POLITICS, EMMA, GET a LIFE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home