6.10.06

The good, the bad and the down right unfair - take two

It's back by popular demand.

I removed this post. I thought perhaps it was too negative. I really couldn't be bothered dealing with the back-lash, or the need to be accountable to people who are really only accountable to themselves at the end of the day. However, today I receive the 4th comment saying that this post was their favorite and where had it gone. They also thought it was rather on point.

But before ......While Brendan Donoghue told me to leave and go back to Melbourne, I hope not everyone thinks this way. He seems to think I whine, complain and argue. Also that I'm really loud. Bizarre.


I think learning, evolving, thinking and developing are all integral components of the learning process. There are many ways this can be done. Looking at how thing work elsewhere and taking the good from this is a beneficial exercise. As is constructively criticising and reviewing what you already have. You can always learn more, you can always do better, or worse. By illustration; if you are are rower and you don't listen to what your coach says, or the other people in boat, your not going to get any better. However, if there is an active and constructive two-way dialogue, your rowing will get better, the people in the boat may indirectly benefit, and the boat will go faster.

I was rather disappointed today to learn that the candidates for the Staff v Student debate are
Brendan Donoghue, Jodie and Gordon. NOT because these people wont do a great job, rather because I think there are some fantastic people leaving the law school this semester. They have never done anything like this thus it would have been good to see them in action before they leave. Alternatively, what about people we don't see that much and those who are a bit quieter.

I always thought that one of the advantages of a small university would be that people who were shy, quiet, introverted, sometimes under-confident or studious would be encouraged and given confidence. An opportunity like this perfect, you never know if the next Andrew Denton is the one sitting in the back row falling asleep and not interacting in tutorials because they can't be bothered or don't feel confident enough to do this. People in their final semester could include Dave Lucenti, Paul Blyschak, Mark or Kristin Danielson, Andy (despite his perception of the 'Australian language,') or one of the Canadian girls. If that doesn't provide enough variety what about Roxy, John Downie, Anna Balmer, Sammy Marash, Louise Tillet, Della, James Boyers (if he is still around), Ash or the mysterious 'Drew' (an absolute champion, who does a fantastic job at remaining objective about student elections, but this would have to be done through a third person)...If we still needed to search further consider; Grady, Amy, Rachel or Sammy Cochrane. We here they are great mooters but never see them in action.

My point is there are a lot of people out there, some that would have given an evening such as this a bit more variety and diversity.

Don't see this as a criticism of the people who are appearing. It's is just that I see them and especially in the cases of Brendan and Gordon, I get told what they think, believe and do most days. They have a monopoly on the law school. Oh well, I guess it will continue.

What about some new faces on the staff team as well, Jim Corkery, Amanda Coulthard, Glenda, John Wade, Lizzie Greene or Anthea Gerrard. But I do note that I am looking forward to the appearance of Duncan!

NOW DOWN TO BUSINESS

Here is the post returned after numerous requests! If you don't like it take a leaf out of my sisters book: build a bridge and get over it! Just remember that bridges and fuel supplies are normally the first targets in war. This doesn't really have much to do with anything, but I've been thinking about this lately because of the book I've been reading which is based in France, during the German occupation in WWII......


I guess you could say I was delaying the inevitable. This has also been the case with this post. I have delayed posting it because I haven't had anything particularly good to say. I wish I hadn't arrived back at all. However, after two years of trying to convince everyone in Melbourne that Bond really was a bad idea and that I should have a semester, or a few, off, i admitted defeat, hung up my hat and tried to get on with my degree. Easy to say, harder to do. Exactly why, I don't really like it here I'm not sure. Perhaps my friend Sabrina could help clarify, if she hadn't gone home to Canada. Hey, I don't blame her. I missed the first week of classes. I have caught up on these. I also missed 'Drink the Pub Dry,' 'Pub Crawl' and 'Race Day,' and I am sure many other occasions created to justify the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol. I have heard all I need to about these. Don't worry for those of you reading this who are not familiar with Bond, I have Palaver, numerous Club 20s and Empires and I would presume a few infamous house parties still to come?Palaver should be okay,providing I get a ticket. I'll go because that's what you do. Hopefully, nobody will be unkind and make harsh and unkind comments(I wish.) I'll update you. I am sure I can predict what these will be and who will make them and I haven't even gone. I don't know why I even bother going. The house party sounds exciting. Perhaps I can bring some rough blokes with a five o'clock shadow to please a particular person. Classes have commenced and already I feel dumber than when I commenced my studies. Oh well.
THE GOOD
1. I finish in two or three semesters
2. I am going to Noosa to catch up with my friend Meg. She invited me.
3. I am going home to Melbourne at least twice
4. I get to go to Healesville the moment I finish my exams.
5. While there are some horrific people here there are also some great ones, such as the lovely Steph Campi who has offered to lend me the books for one of my subjects, also Tori and Cait who are my family up here, oh and a few other people.
6. I get to plan a trip to Kangaroo Island (one day) to go and stay with the lovely Martin Family.
7. The beaches and weather are great. Byron is only 45 minutes away.
8. I get to hide behind this blog and forget about the world my doona is also good for this.
9. Jim Corkery is one of my favorite lecturers. He is lecturing a subject I am taking.
10. I don't have to deal with my family unless I wish
11. I have a very cosy bed, a very clean and organised apartment, a lovely mohair blanket and a fantastic flatmate.
12. Little Beans and 'I hate my skirt'
THE BAD
1. People here are superficial, only interested in themselves and are intent on social climbing (I've never understood this one but I've seen it happen.)
2. I have exams of two-hours duration. I would prefer 5 hours rather than 2.
3. My computer is a relic from the dark ages.
4. Despite having a sound secondary education, and strong marks in my Arts Degree Bond still think I don't know how to write an essay, nor can I tell the difference between cite, sight and site, or there, their and they're. Nor do they think I have a grasp of 'Contemporary Issues in Law and Society' (this should really be called issues from last century and readings you've probably done before that have been published in America.) Further, it is necessary for me to undertake Strategic Management as this will definitely make me more employable. As will the ability to turn on and turn off a computer and use word and excel. Sorry Mum and Dad I know you thought all that money you shelled out for that education was for my own good, the people here at Bond don't give much regard to what I learned in grade 3 and 4 English and grammar classes, nor in boring Information Technology Classes that were compulsory from year 5 until year 11. Perhaps they will give me some credit for those Margaret Attwood texts that were shoved down our throats.
5. Apparently I am an annoying, pathetic excuse for a human being who never should have come to Queensland, Bond, or studied Law or made any friends at all. I shouldn't have bothered talking to people in the law school. This is because I am a very boring person, they are not. In fact they are so interesting and popular they can dictate when you may speak to them, when you may send an email, ask a question etc. Further, I never should have tried to be kind or care about other people, god forbid to actually be interested in what they do with their daily lives beyond purchase shoes. This includes, but is not exclusive to, worrying about people who are sick, who have injured themselves, expressed any interest in any part of their life beyond that which I have been permitted to inquire about. However if they wish to borrow pens, text books, have a lift somewhere, borrow my car or have me pick them up something I should respond without question, otherwise I'm not a very nice person. A tough line to toe..Yes, believe me. If I could borrow Harry Potter's invisibility cloak I would.
6. When it rains on the Gold Coast it really rains. The Beattie Government has major issues, actually so does the entire political structure of Queensland politics.
7. There is no Marios Coffee and Candy, there is no Macro Wholefoods, there is no Grilled, no Chois, no Brunswick or Lygon Street. No Healesville Hotel, or railway and nothing quite like Leos.
8. I don't get to see Lex before she leaves for London
9. My friend Georgia Hill Douglas frequently flys to the Gold Coast. She has a twenty minute turn around so I don't get to see her.
THE DOWN RIGHT UNFAIR
1. If some people complain a lot at this university they get what they want. This also applies if you hang out with the right people. (I would make an effort to ignore these people and pay attention to the quieter ones.)
2. There doesn't seem to be a consistent marking scheme that is clear and made easily accessible to the student body. I don't understand why this isn't possible. However, I could provide some suggestions. When at Melbourne Uni I was disgruntled that the 2nd year average had to fall at 72% and the 3rd year at 73%. There was also a limitation put on HD and a guideline as to Credits, and Distinctions (H2a) and (H2b). Also there were a specified number of passes to be awarded. This made it very difficult to gain a HD (over 80%) but when you did you knew you had definitely done some good work. Tutorial marks were never disclosed (I guess it was assumed we should have faith in the assessment abilities of our tutor). They were never worth more than 10%. Also, all HD papers were marked twice as were all fails. This was stated in a document accessible at the front of the counter for the relevant faculty. I thought this was harsh at the time, but at least I knew where I stood. I think it would be good if Bond was more transparent like this.
3. If I drive to Uni I have to park so far away from the law school (which I don't at the moment, as I don't have a car) I may as well walk. The short walk and drive to Uni I thought would be an advantage of a private uni. No no no. This is no shorter than walking from the back of the Monash (I don't have a parking permit) car-park across Blackburn Road to the Ming Wing, or from the cheap parking spots at the Cemetery adjacent to Melbourne Uni, through a college across south lawn to the John Medley Building.
4. Some building is going on adjacent to the law school. I imagine my fees have contributed in some way to this construction. A new legal skills centre is being built. I wonder if the Centre will be the same as being charged for the legal skills subject which is made up of assessments marked as compulsory parts of the subjects that are required for admission. I didn't realise how lucky I was when I signed up for Law here, fancy getting one subject for the price of two! Perhaps I'm too harsh.
5. The LSA are doing a great deal of positive work but they are so quick to defend themselves they don't realise that you are actually complementing not criticising them. I think it's unfair that the LSA have been reduced to this. Why?There are other students at Bond constantly telling the LSA how and what they should do or criticizing what they have or haven't done. A note to those people: 'if you want something done you have to do it yourself.'
6. The book that is mandatory for IT 2 is not available in the bookshop. It has been sold out. There are also no copies available in the reserve section of the main library.
7. Numerous people made a huge commotion about the opening and closing hours of the library. The complained and moaned and got what they want. I feel a bit sorry for the library staff who open the library now at 8 am rather than 8.30 and for whoever is footing the bill to pay the salaries for those who work the extra hours. The number of times I have walked past the library ,or entered it, between eight and nine I have been able to count the number of students and staff on one hand.

apologies for any harsh generalisations made

11 Comments:

At 10:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also really liked this post ... I like how straight down the line you are without being at all histrionic. And so much of what you said is true (I can't relate to all of it but the beauty of your post was that I still felt like I kind of understood).

You know Anna's coming up next weekend? You definitely have to come to Students' Ball!

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger Emma said...

Thanks Jess, Anna was actually one of the people who prompted me to re-post it. Nice that you understood and appreciated it, even if you couldn't relate to it. If you went back to the comments from when I initally posted it I took these to heart and thought it best to remove. But hey my opinion is what it is and I am entitled to it. It wasn't bulling anyone or having a go at anyone directly so it was re-published.

Student ball, ahh I have a great brown paper bag. Perhaps I could attach some ribbon and felt pieces. otherwise I'm going to hang out for my fairy god mother.

 
At 1:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,you honest and you can be frank and down to earth. there is nothing wrong with your praticality, and although not attending bond i think you make some pretty valid points. You were so excited about going there and while you've had some really tough stuff going on while you've been up there, which invariably will have detracted from the enjoyment factor, I think you had much higher expectations than what you've experienced.

People would be wise to take the time to consider what you have to say. I'm sure you wouldn't say something unless is needed to be said! I just wonder about the stuff going on that doesn't make it the the blog

 
At 11:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma how much do you pay for a subject at that university? Paying that much money I'm suprised the faculty aren't asking what they can do for you. how they can help and why you might be enjoying/not enjoying the course and how they could make improvements.

As far as I'm concerned you should be able to say what you want, providing you can justify it, ignore idiots like that. they really are not worth it.they are the sort of people who get worse, not better with age because they are too arrogant to take on board anything anyone says to them

 
At 3:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... they are so interesting and popular they can dictate when you may speak to them, ... ask a question"

True. It's overwhelming. It is high school cliques on a massive scale. And they wonder why people are spending less and less time at Bond ... they just need to look around. People don’t feel included.

 
At 8:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl you got it in a nutshell. if you organised a function i'd be there!

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get the LSA to organise some social functions during the day. So people who don't want to go to Don's or Club 20 (or can't as they have other commitments/travel problems) can still take part.

I've also suggested that Brendan do a poll to work out what social functions people want to attend and why they don't currently attend them. If the poll does happen, please complete it and be bruitally honest about what bugs you about the social functions they organise and Bond in general.

They will never know what is wrong if they don't ask us, so this will be our opportunity to speak up.

D

 
At 11:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em, i thought that Gord character was one of your best friends up there. Didnt you have a blast showing him and his friend around melbourne over christmas.I thought you said the place wasn't that bad because you had a few good friends like him!What happened. What's the problem with him debating? I thought he was low key, has he joined the proverbial masses?

 
At 2:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gordon would be so funny. hopefully he doesn't drink too much before hand, or it really wont make much sense. it should be entertaining.can you tape it. how's it going up there. touch base soon

 
At 12:39 am, Blogger Emma said...

I've reconsidered my position on the student debate. I'd almost forgot this but recalled while being dumped by a wave this morning. It could have been a message. Gordon should have been in the student debate following 053. He was asked by Della (then responsible for organising the debate - as described in her role.) Della was a great organiser and did a fantastic job. She had asked three students, alas so had someone else. It probably wasn't their job but they took the liberty and organised 3 students also, then went ahead a printed posters. Della then had to contact Gordon and inform him he was no longer debating. She probably shouldn't have been the one to apologise as she was doing her job, but she did. Another example of the great job she did, and credit for her for taking the blame for someone else. She shouldn't have, but she did.

 
At 12:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,

I love you. This Blog spot is not only hysterical but brilliant.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Lex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home