7.10.06

thoughts

Unfortunately, it seems we don't learn from the mistakes of the past. Although they say that 'history never repeats,' 'The Second Coming' by A.B Yates seems as applicable to world politics today, as it was when he wrote it 1921.

'The Second Coming'

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of "Spiritus Mundi"
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

For some light hearted relief, my Mum used to read this to me when I was little. It use to scare me, especially because we lived adjacent to a park.

I have also been a fan of Lewis Carroll, especially the
jabberwocky. (I think that scared me too.)

7 Comments:

At 3:30 pm, Blogger Denny Crane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skuller - can you be nice to just ONE person?

Emma great and doesn't deserve your attitude.

 
At 12:27 am, Blogger Emma said...

Jack, I know who you are. Apologies for deleting your comment, while we do live in a democracy I don't believe my friends should have to read comments. To clarify
1) Brendan and Gordon are both very good friends of mine. I have a huge amount of respect for both of these individuals, and I hope they would be aware of this. So no I don't dislike them I don't even come close to this. There are numerous examples I could give to highlight this but I don't feel the need.
2) If I was you I would go back and read the reasons and character attributes I listed. My arguement is multi-layered, perhaps you should consider its dimensions.
3)I am not a whinger and I completely disagree with this comment. You make incredibly harsh generalisations regarding my attitude to fellow students, ask the majority of students I'm more than happy to help whenever it can and I don't need to provide examples of this because I don't care for credit or criticisms in this regard.
4)never once did I say one academic institution was better than the other; my point was they can both learn from one another, and learning and developing and changing is vital to stay ahead
5) Arts degrees - worthless? I feel sorry you feel this way. The can be increadibly beneficial and you can go a long way with one. I leave you to researh that one, if you can be bothered.

Apologies for deleting your comment, hopefully I won't have to do this again.

 
At 1:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, does he even know who you are. Your the one person people go running to when then need help with research. You know your stuff, but what is even better you are so happy to help and don't make people feel stupid. You always make an effort to say hi and catch up with people who were in you ALS seminars with John, even it was a long time ago. Sorry these people don't appreciate or value you. Also sorry you don't seem to be having such a good time, it doesn't necessarily seem to be a relection on you! Thanks for all your help while you've been at Bond. You have helped make my time here easier. Your maturity, insight and intelligence is something you should value.

 
At 4:31 am, Blogger Emma said...

Thanks for that comment. It's really sweet. But I don't need credit for what I do, nor should people have to say stuff like that. There hare heaps of people who are always helpful, just to name a few of the top of my head Anita, Tannis, Zac (Canadian unknown last name), Diego, Amanda Ryan, George, Sabrina, Julien, Georgia, Balmer, Gord, Brendnan, Trevor, Sammy (both), Amy, Grady...the list goes on...It's just what people should do. It's one of the great advantages of Bond: small classes, small law school so everyone knows everyone, people make friends and in a way it's a home away from home. Sometimes this isn't a good thing, but majority of the time it's fantastic, and a culture that should be encouraged and fostered.

 
At 6:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skuller....

Here's a tip. Stop posting stuff that has to be deleted during election week.

;)

Just a tip, take it or leave it...

 
At 1:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home