14.1.07

Once again: the academic year resumes (part I)


PART I
Tomorrow Law school officially commences. I made the decision to take up residence on campus this semester. I have not unpacked much. In fact the majority of my possessions are still in one of two locations: the back of the blue car or my friend’s garage. I just wish I was aware of what was where, then I could locate specific items, instead unpacking is rather like a lucky dip.

Didn’t think I’d see myself back here, however, here I am. It’s not that bad. I am in South Tower, room 287 to be precise. I have my Mario’s coffee, so everything should be all right.

My room is actually rather impressive. I have my own large bathroom (issues with the shower), air-conditioning, wardrobe, desk and bed (albeit rather small - I’ve only rolled out twice since Tuesday, so I must be getting used to it.) The room is clean and the carpet looks practically new. I have a large window, 24 hour internet service, and I even get my room cleaned and sheets changed once a week by a cleaning service. I did argue with the Resident Office that I was perfectly capable of doing my own cleaning, and would it be possible to knock some $$$ off my weekly accommodation if I did my own. Apparently, it doesn’t work that way. It was worth a try.

Despite having parents who work-full time the only cleaning lady we’ve had since I was in year five is my Mum. The one we did have until that time was fantastic. She replaced Freddie the cleaning lady, whose idea of cleaning our rooms (that being my sister’s and mine) was to pick everything we’d chucked under our beds - presumably we had been instructed by Mum to clean our rooms before the cleaning lady got there – on top of our beds. I think Sarah was worse than me in that regard. I think Freddie must have done more than that, but I don’t really recall much vacuuming, dusting or polishing. Freddie’s replacement was a vast improvement. I can’t remember her name but we really liked her. If she had a bit of spare time she would even bake us an apple pie for dinner that night, and she didn’t chuck what we put under our beds on top of them either.

I still wonder how my mother manages to do everything. She works, cleans, cooks, gardens and look after 7 children (I’ve included Dad and the three pets in that number.) Yes, I know what the members in my immediate family are thinking; it’s because she insists on a whirlwind-cleaning spree at 9am on a Sunday morning. Hey, in her defence, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do (but do you really have to do it on a Sunday?)

When I’m home I try to help out. I get exhausted just cleaning up after Dad’s cooking adventures (yes, they are adventures) so I take my hat of to her. I must say the recent arrival of the new ‘Lindy’ (that’s our dishwasher) has reduced her workload. I don’t think there has been a dishwasher in our house, since I was in year 5 either. Oh there was in a place we rented in Lyndhurst Crescent.. That was for a year. However when we lived with my Grandmother she refused to install one as my Mum, aka ‘Lindy’ “was just as good as a dishwasher.” Hence, the label given to our lovely new appliance. As yet we haven’t named the new oven (submissions, by way of posting a comment are welcome.)

Given that cleaning services are not optional I will make sure enjoy this luxury!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home