6.11.06

50 Years


Last night, Sunday 5th of November, marked the 50th birthday of the ABC. I was probably first introduced to the ABC by way of Play School. Jemima was one of my favorites, my sister's relationship with Little Ted was unhealthy. Then there was Secret Valley. I was lucky that my Uncle Bob (yes, Bob really is my Uncle) secured me a tee-shirt from the program. It was good to have a news reader for an Uncle.

There were many years when I was forced to watch the 7pm news. 'Everyone else' got to watch the news on the commercial channels and the proverbial argument that 'we are not everyone else's parents' was the standard defence. Commercials were more fun, you got to see the latest advertisements selling the newest Uncle Tobys product. The 7.30 Report followed the 7pm news, and then it was the Bill. There were no advertisements, there wasn't really anything. I can probably attribute my developed reading skills to the limited television exposure in our house.

Nowadays, I enjoy a few programs on this station. If the AFL was broadcasted by the ABC (funny one, I know) we would only have one television station in our house. Scary, especially to Canadian readers who lament that Australia only has five television stations.

Gordon Prisco should feel very privileged to share a birthday with the ABC. He is so much younger the ABC, in comparison to the people at Bond, who he is so much older than. Despite an eternal band from his blog (there have been words to the effect that this was to be lifted,) providing a target for his continual ridicule and dealing with him when he is sick or injured, I hope he had a good birthday.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. I loved secret valley. And Spider... those were good times...

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger Emma said...

Spider was a hotty. He was a bady wasn't he. There was another really cute one two. I had a huge crush on him so was very jealous when my cousin got taken to the set! So not far. I can't remember which one he was....I'll do some research.

The theme song was awesome! I can still sing it!

 
At 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha... I wasn't going to say that. He was my first "bad boy" crush. After him I was hooked. He ruined me ! hahaha....

One of the boys lived across from my friend in Melbourne ... she was so popular.

 
At 11:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220267/

They named most of the characters by their real first names which is kinda cute.

Spider and Snake ... :D

 
At 3:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT ABOUT COTTON CANDY FOR THE BRAIN - WE ALL NEED A BIT OF THIS TIME TO TIME

 

Post a Comment

<< Home